In writing a CV 2023, one of the most important sections you need to include in your resume is the Education section. Scanning your resume, the hiring manager is trying to find your education or certificates you got during your career path. Let’s try to understand how to list your education in your resume and how you should do that to lets the hiring manager calls you, not somebody else.
Where to place the education block
Most likely, you could find a resume block near the end of the resume. Why so? Because there are some other sections you would like to show first to attract more attention.
But still, there are some exceptions to the rules, which you’d better follow in the cases below:
- Your degree is relevant to the desired position you are looking for. It’s a good practice, to show some educational accomplishments if any.
- You are fresher and your education is the only one you have. That’s why it’s better to place your education block even after your headings section.
- You used to work in some other field and decided to change your career. But your education is the only related thing you have from the field you’d like to work in. Place it after your resume objective.
How to List Education on a Resume 2023
We have prepared some tips on how to list your Education block in the most effective way. Where to place it – at the end of your resume or near the top. Based on different situations, we would like to share with you some tips on what should you do to write an outstanding resume this year.
You have more than one degree:
- No need to list all the schools you were attended. Show only the one last school that granted a degree and that’s enough. The hiring manager does not count them.
- Include the dates you finished school or college. It’s important information because the gap between education can be huge.
- No need to include all the certificates, courses, or internships in your education block. It’s better to include them in your summary block if they are really impressive. If not, remove them from your resume.
There is some other case when the candidate decided to change the area and decided to visit some courses or pass some tests. In this case, it’s a good idea to mention that in your resume, like: “visit XYZ courses. Completion, Summer 2023 ”
About Certificates and other
It’s an interesting thing, but when you are choosing between the professional certificate or degrees to include in your resume, it’s more valuable for the hiring manager to see your certificates if any. Why? Because it shows that you are the candidate, who is willing to grow as a specialist and really spend time on education.
Anyway, if you don’t know what you should include in your resume – read our resume writing tips and create the proper resume format in 2023.
Lindsay is a certified resume writer and interview coach. She obtained her certification in resume writing (CPRW) which will allow her resume expertise to help readers outshine the competition within the first 5 seconds of reviewing what they have on paper.