What do you know about the first impression? Some job seekers do understand that in some cases, the first impression could be the crucial factor in success. There were tons of articles written about how to write a resume and how resume 2023 looks like, but today we’re going to talk about something else. Today or topic is about what should you do to keep the latest resume trends in 2023 and what should be in your resume.
What do you know about the WOW effect and how it could help you to get the job this year? Today we have prepared for you the latest resume 2023 trends, which you should follow to get the best result. “But what the good result is?” – It’s a new job and new opportunities, which could help you to grow up your business network and increase your chances to be the winner after any interview passed.
Resume Trend #1. Attract more attention
Maybe you know that or not, but a professional hiring manager needs up to 10 seconds to understand who you are and what is your cost. But – it doesn’t work if you will craft a professionally written resume and will highlight the most important information in your resume.
Have you ever seen how a hiring manager scans candidates’ resumes? What are they trying to find there and what are their expectations?
There is only one answer to your question. They are trying to find the most important information for them as fast as they can. And there is only one way how you could help them to do that:
- The first and the most important rule – bold only the most important information in your resume. It could be some numbers, percentages, or really important data.
- Never use italic fonts. They are hard to read and would only make some barriers between you and your resume reader.
- Use call-out boxes to structure information in your resume.
Remember! A professionally written resume is only half of the things done. Easy to read resume writing approach – it’s your key to success and your chance to get an interview even 5 mins after the HR finisher reviews your CV.
Resume Trend #2. What value you can bring
One of the most interesting facts is that all the hiring managers, scanning your resume are trying to find information on how your skills could be useful for the vacant position. It’s a normal situation because when you would like to hire somebody, the first thing you are looking at candidate’s resume – it’s what exactly value the candidate could bring to your company.
That’s why you need to show how your skills could be useful for them and what were your accomplishments. The best resume section to show your value is – a summary of qualifications. Just some lines, showing what was done and who you were.
Trend #3. Alternative job search approaches
More and more job seekers only now understand all the value they could get from alternative job search sources. What do we mean? Have you tried to search for jobs using job boards? How many times you have sent your resume via application form and waited till somebody would give you any feedback?
Let us bust this myth.
Why job boards are not the most effective job search approach:
- Most Likely, hiring managers are using job boards to get a pool of candidates, who will be the next in order after the recommended candidates. And all the HRs are considering candidates from their database first.
- Why they do not give you feedback? They don’t have time for you. You are one of those, who sent your resume and should wait till they would find/not find the time to give you any response.
- Job boards are paid and that’s another explanation for why not all the companies place their job postings there. What does it mean? Fewer job ads – higher competition. Higher competition – fewer chances they would even write you back.
Are there any other ways how you could find a job? YES, THEY ARE. Basically, there are some other job search methods you have never used, but their effectiveness could be AMAZING.
What are the alternatives to job boards:
- ♦LinkedIn professional networks and groups. Surfing this professional network, you could find networks or specific groups, where some groups of people discuss some professionally-oriented topics. It’s a good chance to join the conversation and try to get more connections. Be ready to mention your current unemployment and tell that you’re looking for new opportunities. It’s not a secret for all HR that if you are a good specialist – you have a better chance to get a job using the LinkedIn network.
- ♦Update your network. We are more than sure that you have some social profiles on the web. Didn’t you think about how to use them to boost your job searching activities? How social could help you? Update your current employment status and notify your network. It’s not the most efficient approach, but recommendations work.
- ♦Professional courses. It’s another kind of a good way how you can improve your skills and ask for new job opportunities if any.
Anyway, we’re not against the job boards. We want you to try some other ways how to get the job in 2023 quickly and without too much stress.
Trend #4. Online Resume
It’s not about your professional skills – it’s more about best practices for a well-paid sales manager. And now he/she is trying to sell the most expensive product – themselves.
And now, an online resume is a good addition to your already written .doc or .docx resume template 2023. It’s a trend, but still, it’s a really useful thing you could use anywhere. For example, while talking with a hiring manager via skype, you could easily send a link to HR and refresh your candidacy in their memory.
It’s easy, it’s not hard, it’s a trend!
Trend #5. Infographic resume
There is no doubt – if you want to impress the hiring manager and attract more attention, you need to show them something, that they have never seen before. In your case, it could be an infographic resume, which you are going to create using some popular tools.
But, there is another side, the dark side of an integrated resume format:
- It’s hard to read and compare all the information in a resume;
- It’s not optimized for ATS systems, which are more popular nowadays than in previous years;
- Hiring managers sometimes are too biased toward such resume formats.
Trend #6. Resume Formats
Interesting case, but according to the latest information from the hiring agencies, more and more candidates are using non-traditional resume 2023 formats – only to attract the hiring manager’s attention. Interesting, but it was an unbelievable result.
Those candidates, who wrote a targeted resume – got more invitations for an interview. But, we can’t say that a targeted resume format is a new trend in resume writing. On the whole, using a resume format – it’s the first thing you should start your resume with. It’s a beginning.
Resume Trend #7 – Structured Content
It’s not a big secret that hiring managers are trying to scan as many candidates as they can and the deadlines can let them do that. That means that they manage their time very well and try to save it as much as they can.
What does it mean for you as an average jobseeker? Nothing special you think? No, it means that you need to respect their time and help them read your resume. They need to understand who you are from the first two seconds, while they are scanning your resume. It’s your chance to be noticed and to be considered for a vacant position. Read more here about what resume rules are actual in 2023
What resume formatting rules to follow in 2023:
- No huge spaces
- Bullet points if needed
- Bold the most important facts or numbers in your resume.
BUT. You need to remember that your resume is a document. So, please do not overdo it with different colors and huge fonts. And remember that your resume will read a hiring manager. So, try to read it twice, before they will and understand if it’s easy to read or not.
Resume Trend #8: ATS-optimized resume
You can’t even imagine how hiring managers are trying to optimize their own time and what tools they use to manage their time. If we’re talking about hiring processes – ATS is an inseparable part of the hiring process in huge companies. Sometimes HR could get so many resumes just for one vacant position, so it’s not possible to read them all. That’s when the applicant tracking system starts to help them.
Why it’s important for you? Because you can be the best candidate to fit that position, but ATS could easily not recognize you. As result – you are in the trash pile and HR could never see your resume. So, is there any other question on why do you need to optimize your resume for ATS?
Resume Trend #9: Social Media
We saw tons of candidates, who believe that social media could never ever help them to find a job. Even more, social media – it’s something bad, something unprofessional. But it was an age of stones and wild bears. Since that time, social media is one of the best places, where you could start your job searching process. Friends, ex-colleagues, some groups by interests and so on..why not?
And of course, it should be professional. What do you know about LinkedIn? Do you have your professional account already created? If not, you need to think about it. Over 30% of all the hires in the US are made via the LinkedIn network.
Resume Trend #10: Resume Layout
What is the first thing any hiring manager sees, when he or she already downloaded your resume on the computer and opened it? Yes, resume layout – in other words how your resume was structured and how easy it is to read.
All the information in your resume should be divided into a special section, according to some rules. If it was made by professional resume writers – it’s good to use. If not – better to omit such templates. That’s why we recommend to all our readers to use our 2023 resume templates to win the competition and GET THE JOB!
Resume Trend #11: Video Resume
Have you ever heard something about video resumes? It could be something new for you, but still, it’s one of the most viewed formats of resumes in 2023. All you need to create an outstanding video resume is – an already written script and camera. Your video resume should not be too long, not more than 30 sec. And you can see the results on your own.