Seems like it’s a good time to update your resume 2023. And when you are thinking about it, there are some questions in your head, that you definitely don’t know how to solve. The first one is – What does the updated resume 2023 look like? And another one is – What exactly you should include in your resume to get it looks professional?
So, today we’re going to discuss these questions above and would help you to find the answers. Before we start – we would like to ask you to concentrate on your goal. And the goal is only one – to get the job this year and win the competition. Thank God, we get a really amazing book about how to write an outstanding resume. We’re not going to tell you the whole book below, but we decided to get the most valued advice and get a shortlist. So, here we GO!
How an updated resume 2023 look like? 6 FACTS
Show them the value they could get. It’s important!
As we have already mentioned in our previous posts, your resume 2023 is a kind of marketing document, which helps you to pay hiring managers attention to the most valuable details. And you should know what to include in your resume and what parts should definitely be removed at.
Professional resume is not about how to retell your life story, it’s more about how to show the value you could bring if they would like to hire you.
So, what is your goal here? You should remember that your resume is a kind of document, which helps you to sell your candidacy. Expertise, accomplishments, education… It’s all the stuff you need to include in your updated resume 2023. Don’t know how how to format your resume? You MUST read a post about what professional resume format 2023 looks like.
Keywords in your resume 2023
It’s the most interesting fact, but still – keywords help the hiring manager to somehow understand the professional level of the candidate and let them make the right decision. But not only the hiring managers scanning your resume. Before they do – ATS systems do that before the resume would even be in HR’s incoming e-mail folder.
Why ATS? There are tons of different candidates and all of them are looking for jobs. Sometimes, not all of them are even reading the job descriptions, before they attach and apply their resume to hiring managers. As result – HR spend tons of time, scanning not relevant candidates and trying to sort them. Applicant tracking systems solve such issues and make their life easier.
BUT how does ATS work? It’s a program, which is able to scan your resume and understand if you are a relevant candidate or not. The hiring manager just adds some keywords, binds them to the specific job ad, and waits till the relevant candidates would appear in their mailbox. So, keywords are really important.
SMALL TIP – Read more how you could optimize your resume for ATS.
IMPRESS. Show your “WOW”
Have you ever seen how hiring managers are scanning candidates’ resumes? Do you know how much time an average hiring manager needs to scan a resume and understand if the candidate is even worth being invited for an interview or not?
We know the answers to such questions. It’s up to ten seconds needed for the experienced hiring manager to make the right decision. And all you can do here to attract more attention – is IMPRESS. What do we mean, when we are talking about impression? We are talking about some “Anchor” facts and results.
What could it be and where you should include them:
There are many ways how you could do that in your updated resume 2023, but still, there are some rules, which could help you to stand out from a crowd. Depending on the best resume format you are going to choose, you need to understand that:
- “WOW” factors could be your resume achievements. And it’s really important to include them on the top of your CV 2023.
- Career Objective – another good opportunity to let them be interested in your candidacy.
- Cover letter – Write an outstanding CL and impress them.
Update your resume on the regular basis
The main problem of all job seekers is that they are starting to update their resumes solely before they start their job search. And it’s a completely bad practice. You could ask why, because seems like all the facts and details are already in your resume.
The most interesting fact is that you need to do it regularly, to keep your resume 2023 updated all the time. You have got a new certificate – open your resume file and include such information. It would not get you much time, but in the end result, you will get a completely updated resume.
Let them feel the power
Writing a resume, you should remember that the hiring manager would go to read it. And you should be ready to explain some facts a way it would be easy for them to understand.
- Quantify your achievements. If you increase some metrics, show that in numbers. Do not just tell that in words.
- The result over the process. Do not tell them in your duties what you have been doing there. Better show them some facts.
Anyway, let them understand why you are the best candidate to gain that position.
Professional resume templates 2023
Resume content matters, but professional resume templates could tell a bit more about the level of the candidate than the content in your resume. That’s why you should pay more attention to your resume template.
Structured information – is the key to success. HR are busy people, they hate messing in unprofessional resumes. And it’s another good chance to update your resume 2023 with an outstanding resume template this year!
Common CV Formats 3
We have already written a long post about the most used resume formats 2023, which are used today. We spoke about the key differences between each resume format and when it’s better to use them. In other words, when using a specific CV format could be the best option for you and when it’s better not to use some resume templates.
Now we are going to briefly brush up on the most common resume formats and their key differences. Thereafter, we’ll move to a resume structure. In other words, we’re going to highlight key resume sections of the CV. We’ll deep into each resume section and will try to comment, on whether it’s a good idea to use it or not. In the end, you’ll have a deep understanding of what resume content to include and what is better to exclude.
Chronological CV format. This type of resume format is the best option for candidates with a solid experience background. With an impressive career path and most likely no employment gaps.
Functional CV format. A bit tricky resume format, which is hiding most likely everything about your career path. The key benefit of using it – is your skills. You are selling your hard skills, which are easy to assess and easy to manage.
Combination CV format. Another good format for a resume mixes the two formats above into one. A pretty good solution for some candidates, who has enough experience and good hard skills to present.
Updated Resume Format 2023 Hints
- Always keep your resume updated and use the right resume format, according to your needs and position level. Choosing the right resume format could not only help you to enhance your chances to get a new job but also stand out from a crowd of other applicants. Pay enough attention and effort in choosing the right CV format.
- Professional resume templates 2023. That’s another huge topic in the resume writing community, There are two different points of view about this question. One group of recruiters thinks that using a bright and colorful resume template is a bad idea. The other one – it’s a really good chance to stand out from a mass. We DO believe that a fancy resume template is a really good approach to getting enough attention from a recruiter.
- Add results or achievements to a resume. It’s a good practice to mix your responsibilities with some achievements or results. Nobody likes to read what you did on a daily basis. All they want to read about gained results. If there is something you can write about to convince them that you are the most fitting candidate – do not miss your chance.
- Skills. This is one of the most important sections of any resume. A recruiter needs to understand quickly what you can do and how well. You there are some skills you want to stand out from others, make sure you did them well enough.
- Use the right file extensions. When you are crafting a resume using some modern resume builders, it’s a good idea to make sure that the finished resume was downloaded in a popular extension. DOC and DOCX are the most common extension, which is better to use. Remember, that not all ATS can recognize PDF files.
- Resume objective section. Are there still candidates, who are using that block in resumes? We even dont know why you need to spend free space in your resume adding obvious things there.
- References. It was mentioned in all resume resources. You should not add this stupid phrase “References upon request!”. Hiring managers would not even ask you about references, they will get them without involving you in this process.
- The weird file name of CV. The best option here is [FirstName][LastName].docx
- More than a one-page resume. The more information you add to a resume, the less focused it is. If you have one page to add the most relevant and important information – you will do that. If you can’t do that, that means you vague the importance. (Federal resumes are an extension of rules)